Wednesday, March 16, 2011

rabbits

I arrived in Steamboat Springs late last night and received super warm hospitality from my good friend Sara from VHS. I have been amazed at how much time can go by and yet people really do not change much. We reminisced about our ski school days back at Greek Peak over beers last night. Thankin’ Facebook again for linking me up. This stop was decided very much on the fly after connecting with Sara on the way. Reconnecting with her brings back so many great memories.

My legs are cranking and I am debating a stroll down to the Hot Springs for a dip. Skied with my buddy Jim yesterday “the man of Breck” at Vail and had an incredible day. Smiles all around with plenty of sunshine, warm temps, insane terrain – spent most of the day in the back bowls soaking it all up. He was right – there is no place like it. I had hoped for good snow, but managed to only find dust on crust and some soft corn. It was a little crunchy, but the vistas made up for it all. I took a huge digger on one of the bowls. I thanked my lucky stars I had my skis set low so they both came off. It could have been messy.


Decided to hit the road and head up here around 7 pm, so I missed most of the scenery on the drive but saw plenty of mule deer creeping on the side of the road. The drive itself was full of twists and turns. I have no idea how people make that trek in a snowstorm. This huge white rabbit hopped out in front of me. I have never seen such a big rabbit before. Rabbits have become a staple here in Colorado.

The view from top of Rabbit Ears was spectacular. What a relief to see welcoming lights of Steamboat after charging a two lane road through the wilderness for two hours. I have been here before – years ago – in the summer and made a promise to myself to come back. So here I am. Not sure if I am going to ski today. My body is feeling a little sore and tired. I have been on the trip for a week now. I am trying to save up some energy for Snowbird tomorrow. I have a feeling it could get a little out of hand.

I am very tired. I am looking forward to just getting to Truckee and settling in. This has been an incredible trip so far. I am almost there!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment