Thursday, March 10, 2011

Hen Hen and AB Day #1 - Creepy

I kept waking up last night in my not-so-great hotel room in a not-so-great area in the outskirts of Chicago. I remember waking up and asking Justin, who was in the bed next to mine, "Is everything ok? Is everything ok?" It was a tough couple of days, and I realize how lucky I am. It was great to spend 10 hours with someone catching up on years of history and saying a proper goodbye. Someone to say "yes, Amanda, you can do this, you are going to be fine" in the middle of the night. I also appreciated the company and support. (Stoked we didn't kill each other crammed into my car with Henry on our laps.)I dropped him off at the airport this morning and headed west.

So, props to an extra special guy. :)

Now - about my day.
My incredibly RANDOM day.
Started out with a terrible interaction with a sketchy/weirdo cop on 88 just outside Chicago. Total CREEPER...I've told the story about 100 times today, so I just don't want to go there again - but he sent my head spinning - and let me tell you, that was the last thing I needed based on my anxiety and state of mind this morning.

Loved getting calls today from random friends checking in. You are the best. My February 2011 mix made the rotation about 20 times. I can't get enough of Florence + The Machine, as well as Phoenix. Keeping me going...

I don't want to harp on being a single female and how different it is traveling alone than with someone - but seriously the looks, the honks, the randomness from out of line truckers and fellow travelers completely freaks me out. Henry is just a little cutie, not much of a guard dog, but at least I feel a little safer with him.

Saw a billboard today that was kind of funny.
"Buy insurance for your crops. My daddy does." with a smiling adorable 10-year-old outfitted in a cowboy hat and plaid wrangler shirt. Only in Iowa. My mom went to Iowa state - after growing up in Brooklyn - so I kept wondering/thinking about her time in the cornfields.

Picked up a "country dating" publication. Actually splurged and spent $1.00 at the third rest area I saw the newspaper offered. I thought long and hard about the purchase. First visit I was like "hummmm" - second visit I tried to get a free one -third visit I actually went back to the car to get the four quarters for the machine. There has GOT to be some good stuff in there. It is buried in my car somewhere, so I have yet to dig in, but I bet it is pure entertainment. I consider it a $1 well spent.

I landed in a luxurious hotel - which is actually a suite - in Lincoln, Nebraska. Watched the sunset from the outdoor hot tub. My back has been cranking a bit - so it was a fab idea to splurge on a plush bed, hot tub, great meal, and free internet. I hope the breakfast is good in the morning.

Randomly crossed paths with the happiest bartender ever with "sweeties" all around and - get this - "yes i would absolutely LOVE to take out the garbage for you." Who really says stuff like that? I hate to jump to conclusions but think the mid-west is full of these types of friendly, nice people.

It's off to Boulder tomorrow. I hear the weather is supposed to be incredible. Might trade the comfy yoga pants in for jeans and a t-shirt so I can roll directly to happy hour with Roberto. Stoked to see him, and hopefully meet his new wife. Good times, good times.

Not sure what the ski agenda is for the next few days. Thinking Vail and Snowbird are definites. Possibly some more in Colorado and a day at Alta? Will play that by ear. St. Paddys day is set for Snowbird at this point. Catching up with Toni from UNH - a long overdue visit.

Again, praying for clear roads and fair winds. It's time to walk the pup in the parking lot and hit the hay. Hopefully tonight I won't be waking up asking the empty bed next to me "Is everything going to be ok?" I am starting to feel that it is.

Two down, one more crazy driving day left to go.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment