Sunday, March 13, 2011

co

It's a small world after all...

Landed in Boulder - same time as the Tsunami in Japan. Craziness how devastating that is. I watched the video today (two days behind) and was overtaken with emotional sadness. My heart goes out to everyone suffering over there.

Exploring the sights with my friend Rob and his two English setters - Higgins and Dack. Henry is in his glory. Unfortunately it's been just him and I for his 19 months of existence, so playing with other pups is great for him. Took them out to Rabbit Mountain yesterday morning - nice short hike/walk, with beautiful views. Henry spotted his first horse/cowboy combo.

Floated down to town to explore Pearl Street for a few hours and met up with a friend I have not seen since good old VHS. It was great to connect - and see her. Another thank you to FB for linking people up.

Watched some hoops and dined at Oskar Blues - the Dale's Pale Ale brewery - last night. Good times.

Boulder is a very interesting place. Lots of different folks to watch. I get the Burlington vibe - which is intended - but the people are just so friendly and nice. It is shocking to me. In fact, it's very different from what I am used to. Everyone is in great physical shape too. It was beauteous yesterday - in the 60s and there were 100s of road bikers rippin it up. Rob pointed out a professional triathlete at dinner last night, and I actually learned that my friend's younger brother - from VHS - is a triathlete too. Crazy. Seems like good stuff happens here.

It's been awesome to collect myself and my mind here. I was sprawling all over the place the last few weeks. Finally starting to feel like I am putting the pieces together and making gains. I was pretty strung out - so was Henry - with saying goodbye, packing up and taking the initial leap. Now the wheels are in motion. Keeping my sights focused on what's in front of me and trying to smile as much as I can. Some guy stopped me on Pearl Street yesterday and told me I should be smiling more. Random, eh?

Heading out to see a friend from the good old Binghamton days out in Breckenridge for a couple days, then on to Utah for the long awaited reunion with Toni from UNH and celebrating some Irish holiday at Snowbird? I think it's going to be off the hook. We will see...

I almost forgot...so I'm having coffee with Rob and looking at wedding pictures and see a woman I work with at Rochester Hearing and Speech Center in Rochester. She's front and center. Turns out Rob's wife is a Hixson, and the niece of Peter Hixson, one of the best directors at RHSC - who passed away from a terrible battle with cancer a few years ago. Her dad was actually Peter's twin brother. Talk about full circle - small world.

Great hospitality out here - great time to gather my head and set off on the next leg tomorrow morning.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment