Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Solstice

6.21
Both numbers are multiples of three. I am celebrating my three month anniversary of employment at Tahoe Donner today. I love the number three. Is it a coincidence? Perhaps.

It is hard to look back at my last post and put myself back in time. I should have trusted in the people around me that life would change, and yes, this is probably going to be one of the best summers of my life.

Everything is different in California. It is insane. I know I keep stressing this, but I honestly don't consider myself a hard core New Yorker. More of an upstate type, or even better, a New Englander - since I went to college and spent most of my formative years there. But when it comes to summer, sunshine and blue sky, i have never, ever, in my entire life experienced what a Tahoe summer is. Sure, I heard it over and over again, but each turn is different, and filled with more surprises.

I always have these "ah hah" moments, and I love them. I was driving home from work last night, sun beaming away. Windows down and music cranking, and I drove into old town Truckee. As I approached the stop sign - on my normal work commute route - i looked to my left at the town and had a strange, sinking feeling. Like one of those creepers that just felt like home. It honestly scared the sh*t out of me. In fact, I stopped and was like "really, Amanda, is this happening?" and felt a rush of "oooooh, this is starting to feel like home, i could get used to this" almost stop me dead in my tracks.

Maybe "ah-hah" moments are not the best way to describe them, but for me, it's an unfamiliar circumstance that is some sort of guidance tool to help me keep on facing forward and continuing on and putting one foot in front of the other.

BBQs, cowboys, binkini's, the beach, pbr, sunsets, relaxation...soaking it all up. it's shocking. i see hints of east coast amanda shine through on a constant basis. but they also say that you can't change who you are. i am just absorbing all that i can, focusing on myself, and putting one foot in front of the next.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment