Tuesday, October 11, 2011

inspire

Ahhh, yes. I have no good excuse for my summer blackout period. Simply put, I guess I was lazy about writing. Maybe I was just caught up taking everything in, or perhaps my time was occupied by new adventures, great people and weather like I've only seen in movies. My biggest fear about starting this up again - because I've been thinking about it for a week or so now - was having to re-trace those summer steps or give some sort of wrap-up. Well, I really don't want to, so for now, I'm not going to. I'm going to bring you right back into the present, which was actually a big present to myself.

I took a short hike with my friend Mariah tonight after work. We drove up to the top of Tahoe Donner (where we both work) and decided to walk out the trail on Glacier Way. I had been out there with Henry a few weeks before, but only out to the Donner Lake viewpoint. Tonight we opted to hike out to the Negro Canyon overlook. We also headed out late - around 6ish, so the sun was setting and the moon was rising.

To top it all off, it was a full moon, so we watched the large white disc rise over pink skies. It's funny how sunsets just get better and better. Tonight's was no exception. We got out to the overlook and the world just opened up. I swear the sky was lavender with buttercup and orange hues. The jagged Pacific Crest Trail cut through the light shaded canvas. It was a double rainbow moment for me. Snow crunched below our feet in a few places and the air was a little brisk. On our walk back I stopped, turned around and saw a blazing orange sky - a rich shade of pumpkin - one that I have never, ever seen before, blanketed against the range. On our walk back down the trail on the moonlit path, although neither of us came out and said it, I'm pretty sure we were both feeling genuine appreciation for that shared experience, the opportunity to live in such a beautiful place, and the true chance of encountering such beautiful works of magic at the most random times. Neither of us expect to see such a painted sky on our simple, unplanned hike after work.

On my drive home I started thinking about how things just happen. My journey brought me here and I still have so many places to explore, people to connect with and things to see. Tonight was my inspiration.

I am soooooooooooooo incredibly stoked for the ski season. I am giddy to be able to be here and do something I absolutely love. I went to a movie premiere on Friday at Squaw Valley, and watched with new eyes. Especially the slaying of powder and the bond between folks on the mountain. I remember watching those movies before the season at home in NY and dreaming of taking my big ski vacation out west. This year my grin was double its normal size and lasted the entire show. I'm not sure if it was because the pros from the movie were sitting in the fourth row just a few seats down from me or because my reality is: right now Tahoe is my own backyard. I'm living the dream. I wanted to pinch myself right then and there. Yes, it's true. I am going to be able to just live it and ski epic terrain - like EVERY weekend and hopefully a few powder days. It's so exciting. It was also the boost and wake-up call I needed to get my ass in gear to start a strength training program - which was one of my reasons for the hike tonight, actually.

Anyway, this is me checking in again. I'm still in Truckee. I'm enjoying each day. I am trying to live in the moment and put my heart and soul into finding happiness in simplicity. Until the next time...xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment